Is eating pancakes black or white?
Let’s talk about self-talk.
A few years ago you would not see me happily celebrating Pancake Day.
Casually enjoying some pancakes, having a great time and moving on with my life.
I would spend hours thinking about the amount of calories I was to consume.
And how it definitely wasn’t going to be worth it.
When the day came, I would eat one pancake, because everyone around was having them…
And it would make me feel like the worst person on earth – a total failure.
So I would treat this day as ‘wasted 24hrs’ and go on binge eating for the rest of the day punishing myself for being such a worthless human being.
The pattern was simple:
1. I would THINK eating pancakes is just bad for me
2. I would TELL myself if I have one, I’ll be the worst person on earth
3. Once I had one, I would FEEL like crap and someone without any self control that deserved to be punished
…all because I wanted a HEALTHY, HAPPY, BALANCED LIFE, ha!
I used to think happiness was black & white.
That things can only be either good or bad and there’s nothing in between.
Instead of happiness…
I ended up with chronic disappointment.
All changed when I decided to put it all in perspective:
* I admitted one day full of pancakes wasn’t going to ruin any healthy lifestyle I was trying to have
* I realised I didn’t want to spend hours thinking about things as trivial as this
* I acknowledged the connection between what I think and tell myself & how it makes me feel
See, the change didn’t happen overnight.
In fact – it’s still an ongoing process.
But the difference is – now I know how what I tell myself is going to impact how I feel.
And I choose to feel as good as I possibly can.
So now I wake up feeling excited on the Pancake Day.
I celebrate and I move on with my life.
Black and white is no longer the way I think…couldn’t say the same about the way I dress, I guess! ?